Provides free counseling to children ages 6-18 living in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes that experienced the trauma of Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath and are still showing signs or have begun to show signs of distress.
These signs may seem unrelated to the hurricane, but can include:
- Depressed or irritable mood
- Difficult behaviors, aggression
- Problems with attention or behavior
- Difficulty getting along with friends
- Becoming socially isolated or withdrawn
- Difficulties with school work
- Physical complaints, stomachaches, headaches
- Sleep problems
- For younger behavior – clingy behavior
- For older children or adolescents – risk taking behavior (including alcohol or drug use)
To reach children, therapy groups and individual sessions are offered at schools in these parishes as well as services provided in our office.
If a child you know is experiencing trouble in any of these areas, please contact Family Service of Greater New Orleans at (504) 822-0800 to make a referral or you may have the parent or caregiver call to schedule an intake.