Family Service of Greater New Orleans is a 501 c3 nonprofit, but it is often confused with state or federal agencies. Our organization primarily provides mental health counseling and addiction services.

Family Services is not the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services. If you are in need of any of the following services, please contact the agency noted:

Child Protection Investigation (CPI)
To report an incident of child abuse, call 1-888-524-3578

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
To ask questions about food stamps or a Louisiana Purchase Card, call 1-888-524-357. To apply online for food assistance, visit www.dss.louisiana.gov

Child Care Assistance
If you need child care, call 1-888-524-3578 or apply online at www.dss.louisiana.gov

If you need government support due to economic hardship, call 1-888-524-3578

Child Support
If you need child support, call 1-888-524-3578 or visit www.dss.louisiana.gov

Social Security
If you are at least 62 years of age, you can apply for Social Security benefits. Call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration office at 400 Poydras Street, Suite 500


FAQ about Family Service of Greater New Orleans

What is counseling?

Counseling is a process that allows you to express your feelings and learn coping skills.

What should I expect at my first appointment?

  • Intake assessments typically last 50 minutes. During this session, the clinician will be gathering important information about how we can help.
  • Intake assessments are $35, unless otherwise specified. Family Service accepts cash or credit card. When using cash, please bring exact change.
  • Please do not bring children under 13 with you; they are not permitted to wait in the waiting room unaccompanied.
  • Bring photo identification and proof of income.
  • If utilizing Medicaid, please bring your Medicaid/Insurance card.
  • If you are referred by the court system, please bring court documentation so we can ensure you receive the appropriate service.

Information specifically for the guardians of child clients:

  • Even if the child or adolescent is the identified client, please do not bring him or her to the intake assessment. The clinician will want to gather information from the guardian first.
  • For the intake assessment, the child’s legal guardian must be present in order to consent to services. Family Service is unable to provide services to child without the written consent of the parent or guardian.
  • The parent or guardian must bring proof of guardianship to the intake appointment. For biological parents, photo identification is sufficient. For non-biological guardians, please bring a photo identification as well as legal documentation of guardianship.
Do you provide medication?
We do not issue or prescribe medication, but we can refer you to a community partner for medication.
I don’t have insurance. Can I still receive services?
Yes! Many services are free, and our general counseling is paid on a sliding scale.
How long will it take before I can see a counselor?
Anywhere from 1 day to a week. If you are in crisis, please let the Administrative Assistant know.
Can I get a referral for Family Service?
You don’t need a referral. Just call 504.822.0800!
Is there a fee for services?
Most services are free, but our general counseling is paid on a sliding scale. Anger Management, Diversion, and Domestic Violence services are fee only; $35 for intake, and $25 for each session.
Are there free services for me and/or my child?
Most of our services are free. You can receive free services if you are: victim of crime and Orleans Parish resident (even if the crime happened a long time ago, or if you didn’t file a police report); a new dad/father-to-be/father figure; between 16-24 years old and need counseling around forming relationships; have insurance with Medicaid.
As a victim of domestic violence, can I get free services?
Absolutely. Services are generously paid for by the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement.
Can I use Medicaid to get counseling services?
We accept all Bayou Health plans (Aetna, Amerihealth, Healthy Blue, Louisiana Healthcare Connection, and United Healthcare). If you are not yet enrolled in Medicaid, we can assist you in completing an application to apply for Medicaid.
The court referred me, what sessions do you offer?
We offer Domestic Violence, Anger Management, Diversion and Active Parenting. Please note that the judge in your court case likely referred you to a specific program.